You are here: Home » Drug Rehab Blog » Drug Rehab » Handling Fear – one of the biggest issues for emotional recovery

The big book of Alcoholics anonymous talks about 101 different forms of fear. It invades everything the alcoholic does and drinking is often a symptom of this deeply pervasive angst and feeling of doom and gloom the alcoholic has. I have often heard it called the terrors not just fear and indeed for me that was probably a better description. I was literally terrified if you take away my fix what will replace it. At the start of recovery the idea that one day they will no longer be afraid is very hard to grasp for the Alcoholic. Dictionary.com defines fear as

a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid”

In this case of the alcoholic the fear is often imagined and real fear that everybody has is mixed up with distressing feelings that something bad will happen all the time. It is only through the work of the gentle loving steps that the alcoholic can get to the root of the fear. The fear itself is but a symptom because underlying it is usually a problem which has not nothing to do with fear and very likely a lot to do with ego. In my own case I was terrified of financial insecurity. Despite not a shred of evidence that I would ever be poor again I was constantly afraid of being broke and financial issues. Through intense work on this issue under the guidance of a sponsor I found that the fear was but a mask for my own need to control everything and fix anything that I thought I had control over. The fear of financial insecurity was the trigger that sent me into fixing and controlling everything which related to money and that was a lot. Work, the bank, the mortgage, the economy etc. etc it went on and on. It was only through recognizing how my character defects and ego were playing out that I was able to ask God to help me change that. The fear has not been completely lifted but it is much better. I work on it daily and ask god to remove my need to control and fix everything. I look forward to the day when I can read the promise “fear of financial insecurity will leave us” and think yes it has!!!
Trudging the road to Happy Destiny!!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailFacebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

6 Comments

AmyApril 13, 2012 at 9:52 am

Recognizing that fear is taking over is an important step. That is why have a good mentor/sponsor is so important. They can help you recognize these roadblocks and address them before they become major hindrances to your recovery. Good luck on your continued recovery!

AmyApril 13, 2012 at 9:52 am

Interesting that I had read this. I am not battling drug or alcohol addiction but I am dealing with fear getting into the way of so many things and I feel the Universe had led me to this post. Fear is everyone’s enemy and definitely a vicious one to a recovering addict. And I agree, if it is too much into the way, it will delay the recovery process. It is very important to talk about your fears to your sponsor or to those in the same position as you. It is always good to hear that what you fear is just a fear and that is it.. from an outside source who really gets it.

AmyApril 13, 2012 at 9:52 am

Fear is a killer regardless of what you are fighting. The bravest thing any addict or anyone who is riddled with fear needs to do is to conquer it. Easier said than done but it is the only way to get better.

AmyApril 13, 2012 at 9:52 am

You can’t allow fear to control you . Sometimes just taking to someone else can put it into a different perspective for you. You are only hurting yourself if you let fear run your life.

AmyApril 13, 2012 at 9:52 am

It’s true that as we dig further into recovery, we realize that a kind of fear has been driving us. Fear of never getting things initially or fear of actually having them. The path through fear can be scary itself, but after completion of this we can meet the world with backs straight and eyes forward.

AmyApril 13, 2012 at 9:52 am

Common underlying emotions are fear, hurt and disappointment – generally associated with the addicts when they are undergone treatments. In fact people use drugs and alcohol when they experience emotional pain. Well, during the process of treatment patients feel sadness; this is a sign of returning to humanity. It’s a fact that when patients attempt to get clean, they often fear emotions and it’s a very natural thing. So they can discover emotions again in their life. This is the starting point of their recovery.