You are here: Home » Drug Rehab Blog » Drug Abuse » Tide Becomes Drug Money
Tide detergent

Tide detergentNew York magazine has an article on how addicts are stealing Tide detergent to fund their drug habit. According to the article Tide has a high customer loyalty and is easily resold for cash. In addition because it’s shoplifting instead of theft, the penalties for getting caught are lower.

Article here.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailFacebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

7 Comments

dylanFebruary 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I read the article, and I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. I agree, however, it’s the company’s own marketing tactics that have made it a wanted commodity. It doesn’t surprise me all that much that something like Tide is being stolen and resold on the street, as this practice has been keeping shoplifters in business for decades. The sheer volume of bottles being stolen, however, is a little overwhelming. Then again, I’m an avid Tide user myself, so I can see the loyalty thing too.

dylanFebruary 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Drug habits are usually associated with violence and prostitution. Don’t get me wrong, stealing is stealing, but at least it’s a different mentality being used to support the bad habit. You can’t just blame the drug addicts or the thieves. It’s the people willing to buy stolen goods that keep this type of thing going. Supply and demand is the way of the world.

dylanFebruary 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm

That’s terrible. Tide should kick in some funds to help crack down on this. Especially when large retailers like Walmart who only pay for what they sell have better protection against losses. If Tide doesn’t do something to curb the theft, they are only adding to the problem and supporting the criminal acts of drug users. Maybe security magnets inside the bottle or caps or something. Small grocers and retailers can’t afford to take these kinds of losses.

dylanFebruary 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm

My neighbours used to buy all kinds of stuff; liquor, cigarettes, make up etc from “their guy”. Sometimes they would even request something they wanted. A lot of people take the “just don’t ask” attitude when it comes to buying stolen merchandise, so I can see how easy it would be to discount sell a popular product like Tide. The best buyers for this kind of thing is usually normal, working people who live the straight and narrow otherwise. I’ll bet it doesn’t even occur to them that they are contributing and supporting someone’s drug habit. Just goes to show, if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.

dylanFebruary 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Wow, I would have never thought of something like this! Come to think of it, I have seen a lot of bottles of Tide on sale at ebay and wondered how the prices are so low… and now I see this. That’s crazy!

dylanFebruary 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm

This is ridiculous, true. But what really strikes me as ridiculous is the thought of someone trying to stuff a big bottle of Tide into their coat so that they can walk out of the store with it! How on earth do they pull that off? It’s sad, but there’s got to be something easier to steal. I never spend more than $5-10 (I’m being generous) on laundry detergent, and stealing a big bottle seems like a lot more work and risk than $10 is worth!

dylanFebruary 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I will definitely think more carefully next time a friend tells me that they’ve found an excellent deal on laundry detergent! Like Joe Joe said, if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem. I’ve probably been part of the problem in the past, as my friends have offered me really great deals on things, and I’ve taken them up on it on several occasions. It never occurred to me that it could be stolen merchandise, supporting people’s drug habits!