You are here: Home » Drug Rehab Blog » Drug Rehab » What does Polydrug mean?
Pills of many colors

Pills of many colorsA polydrug means using two psychoactive drugs at once. They are used to achieve a particular effect. This is sometimes called “cross fading” and can lead to being dependent on several drugs at once.

Doing this can carry a lot more risk than just using a single drug at a time. This can also exist if you are mixing prescription drugs as well. Or if you are mixing drugs and alcohol together. Doing this may lead to the likelihood of overdose being much higher.

Poly drug use normally results in accidental overdoses. This could be what happened to Anna Nicole Smith, the actress and Playboy model. Because of her cocktail of prescription drugs she may have accidentally overdosed. The danger of overdosing with this type of drug use is high. The problem is when prescription drugs are being prescribed by more than one doctor it can be difficult to anticipate the kind of reaction the patient will have.

Drug rehab may be necessary to get off this kind of cycle. Drug addiction treatment is likely in this kind of drug use as well.

Please contact a drug treatment center or drug rehab for more information regarding the dangers of mixing drugs and alcohol.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailFacebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

6 Comments

JaniceApril 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm

This is such a dangerous activity! One drug by itself is dangerous enough but when you mix it with other drugs or alcohol, its a recipe for disaster.

JaniceApril 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Mixing drugs with alcohol happens to more people than most realize. Dependency on drugs can kill and mixing it with booze is a sure way for it to happen.

JaniceApril 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I knew someone who did this. Fortunately she turned out ok but she was on so many drugs and one night drank, and ended up in the hospital. It was a close call but thankfully she turned out ok. Not everyone gets so lucky.

JaniceApril 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I really worry about this kind of thing happening to my mother. She became dependent on pain pills and now she is taking more and more drugs, her speech is slurred and I am afraid she will drink. I need to intervene somehow, and wondering if I should call the local clinic and express my concerns.

JaniceApril 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I will only take pain killers after surgery or if I truly desperately need it. I will not take drugs if it is not necessary for me. I don’t want to ever risk something like this happening to me.

JaniceApril 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm

There is actually little systematic information available about multiple drug abuse interactions. However, the combined use of cocaine, heroin, and alcohol increases the risk for toxic effects and adverse medical consequences. Polydrug treatment requires lots of innovative program of invention.