You are here: Home » Drug Rehab Blog » Drug Rehab » Painkiller abuse rises dramatically

A report from the Associated Press used to create this article Painkiller Sales Soar in U.S., Fuel Addiction highlights the alarming rise in the use of painkillers. The industry will quote better quality of life of users who need painkillers and more controlled use to treat chronic pain.  Anybody involved in the drug treatment industry knows the sorry truth and that is that addiction to painkillers is the real reason for the growth.  This report on prescription drug overdoses from the CDC confirms an alarming trend in the abuse of prescription drugs.  These “legal” drugs are now claiming more lives than street drugs.  The drug companies have an alarming amount of power in the U.S. but its beyond all logical comprehension that the trend should be allowed to continue when clearly the growth in this industry in being fueled by addictions which leads to one death every 19 minutes according to the CDC report.  We need much greater controls on these drugs and a centralized database to stop doctor shopping.  We also need greater education for our health care professionals to ensure they understand the huge risks associated with prescribing these drugs to anybody with a history of addiction.

Our doctors are becoming drug pushers and its alarming that the statistics are not making the medical industry itself push for reform to put better controls in place to prevent abuse, addiction and deaths.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailFacebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

7 Comments

dylanApril 9, 2012 at 11:43 am

There are endless varieties of painkillers are found in the market. Painkillers are often prescribed by doctors either after surgery or other reason to relief pain. Even people take painkillers without doctor’s advice too. If taken at higher dozes, side effects could include ulcer, stomach bleeding, kidney problem, dehydration, hallucination, drowsiness. So, consult your doctor, before it’s too late.

dylanApril 9, 2012 at 11:43 am

There are so many potential risks associated with painkilers now and the possibility of addiction too high. For me personally, I wouldn’t take most of them, even if perscribed by a doctor, unless I absolutely had to. It’s just not worth it.

dylanApril 9, 2012 at 11:43 am

I agree, painkillers have the potential to be quite dangerous. I also try to keep away from them unless I absolutely HAVE to take them if it meant me getting my sanity back due to the pain being so bad.

dylanApril 9, 2012 at 11:43 am

I had a close call once. It was not anything to do with painkillers but I became addicted to sleeping pills and took too many one time accidentally and ended up in the hospital. I did not drink thankfully but it was a close call and now I keep away from it. I was able to wean myself off of it and it was a necessity.

dylanApril 9, 2012 at 11:43 am

Do you need info on outpatient drug rehab? Then articles like this one can really help you out. Thanks for posting.

dylanApril 9, 2012 at 11:43 am

For over 10 years I was an addict and needed obligatory exercise help. When I got the help I needed, I could start living my life again.

dylanApril 9, 2012 at 11:43 am

[…] are often commonly used drugs,   Painkiller Addiction is now a common problem due to their easy availability. OxyContin, Endocodone, Dazidox, Percocet and Percodan, are commonly prescribed by doctors to […]